REFLECTOR: Still test flying...battling high CHT's

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 06:37:36 CDT 2012

Darrell,

There was some reassuring and educational info in that article as Duane was
speaking generally about leaning procedure, EGT's and CHT's.  While it
sounds like nobody wants to run routinely a cylinder at 425F, I may be
freaking out a bit too much when my cylinder hits 420F as Duane indicates
he had people with 450F cylinders who have been trying to cool them down.
 My #4 is unusually high, tho.  I think I'll go back and look at which
injectors I swapped as it used to be my #2 was the unusually high one.

I do have VG's just before the NACA.  I may try different locations.  My
gut tells me that, because its mostly a problem on climb out that putting
one set of VG's more fore (say just behind the door, to keep the air
attached to the roof), and one set inside the NACA (to keep the air
attached to the runner and help turn the corner to cool the fore cylinders)
might help (this from a scientist, but a scientist who knows nothing about
aerodynamics).

Thanks for pointing out that article.

Geoff