REFLECTOR: AeroComposite Prop

David Rene Dugas renedugas at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 21:00:28 CDT 2012

As many of you know I have one of the first AC Props and love it.  There is an issue where on extremely hot days the prop gets hot  on the ground and will not cycle.  Yesterday when test landing the shimmy dampener I was flying around for fun and came back in to land and was fairly fast.  Normally I'll pull a few G's and flatten the prop and slow down to gear speed.  All was fine but on short final I was too fast.  I realized the RPM's were at 1800 and not 2600.  I did some "S" maneuvers quickly but still could not get below 100 knts so went around.  On climb out max RPM was 2100 with 500 ft/min climb with MP 27.  I pulled the throttle back to 22 inches and went around.  Used and IR temp gage on the ground tarmac 150 degrees, aircraft wing 135, spinner 120, prop hub 130 and engine case 170.  Prop blades were binding and were in high pitch.  returned to normal in 10 minutes in hanger.  I'm glad for cooler weather.  This is the only time it has done it in two years.
Point to all this is in Coarse or High pitch this plane glides very well.  Could not land on a 5000 ft runway.  I do not have an airbrake and this is the only time I needed one.  Quite a surprise.  Just sharing.  May be forced to pull prop.  They have offered to hone the prop blade holes to fix it but I hate to take the plane down but guess I'll have too now that is great flying weather.

Rene'