REFLECTOR: Replacing rubber engine mounts

Stockman, Bill bill.stockman at daytonaero.com
Fri Sep 7 08:05:22 CDT 2012

The worst enemy to your engine mounts are the engine oil.   Don't ask  me how I know, but "I've heard" that if you have a major leak
that sprays oil everywhere its really difficult to get it off all parts.   The oil will soak into the mounts and they will slowly deteriorate
until you find what looks like  sand-sized  pieces of rubber debris in your bottom cowling--these are parts of your engine mount.   The damage
is normally under the washers so you can't normally see it when it starts.     As you might suspect, the engine will now move on the mounts.

You can also change out the mounts one at a time without taking out the engine,
but it requires a lift and a lot of patience.