REFLECTOR: Utah Sightseeing

Jeff Barnes jcbarnes411 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 5 21:57:01 CDT 2012

Hi Bob,

      Get to Sante Fe/Durango, head for four corners, head west at about 7500 feet and lower . You're in monument valley - get right down in them. Go about 200 miles. Repeat often.  If you stop at Santa Fe, 100+ art dealers within 2 miles of Market Plaza.  If you go south via Albequrque, real cheap gas & 2 runways at Dumas Moore County TX KDUX.

       Get a Grand Canyon special VFR chart, use the side that looks like the sectional - else stay at/above 14K. Other Natl parks be polite at 2000 AGL, or not, your choice.

      O2 SHOULD be an absolute must - if you cant go around mountain weather, don't try going under when easier and smoother to go over it.

     Last I was there, the self serve at Winslow didn;t work, FBO & restaurant were deserted. Flagstaff good FBO - quick trip to lots of food choices. Sedona 15 minute flight away - great walking/shopping downtown area.

      Have a ball - take some water, nuts and apples.  Enjoy the unwritten national airport courtesy car system.  Utah -- good folks & 3 runways - lots of eats at Cedar City, cheap gas at Toolle Valley by Salt Lake CIty without having to squeeze by a mountain under class B to get to South Salt Liake City.

Regards,

Jeff Barnes