REFLECTOR: Interesting Reminder

Rich Ervin rich_ervin at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 19 11:55:59 CDT 2012

That's what it appeared at first, but I don't think he was trying to salvage the landing.

I think he made the mistake of putting down the gear during a climbout - a condition that you ordinarily would not encounter - and stalled his canard when the plane slowed down. The only reason he landed flat is that he regained control of the canard during the nose-dive and pulled it partially out of the dive.

I believe that he was attempting a proper go-around. The fatal error, which could happen to anyone under different circumstances, is lowering his gear (and his brake?!) at a low airspeed. He should have completed his climbout and leveled off before modifying his configuration.