REFLECTOR: Extreme Takeoff

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Fri Oct 19 08:28:41 CDT 2012

Yesterday I flew from KS (MPR) to MS (5R2).  I delayed this flight from
the previous day to avoid strong headwinds and weather and for the
advantage of a strong tailwind yesterday.  There was a 25 kn crosswind
at MPR.  While taxiing, the plane kept turning toward the wind.  That
was the first time that has happened and my first time taking off in a
very stong crosswind.  With my IVO set for 2600 rpm static, I had max
accelerating capability to get airborne in as little time as possible.
During the takeoff roll I had to jab the downwind brake 2 times to keep
it on the runway.  I was anxious to get off the ground and rotated
asap.  Being in the air was definitely the lesser of 2 evils.  I think
doing this with a FP prop would not be possible since the long time for
t/o roll would require so much braking that the rotation speed could not
be reached.  At 9500' I had tailwinds as high as 70kn.  The air was
smooth as expected according to the winds aloft charts.
I think I'll need to do something to increase oil temp for the winter.
Due to changes I've made over the past few years, my oil temp and chts
have gone from high to low.  Yesterday at an OAT of 32F, my oil was 58C
(with heat flap fully deployed).  chts 80-90C. I was comfortable wearing
pants and long-sleeve shirt.  However bright sun at 12 o'clock provided
some heat as well.  I think I need to partially block the cooler.  What
have others done?  How much do you block?

John