REFLECTOR: Interesting Reminder

Mark Magee edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 06:14:21 CDT 2012

Hi Rene, All,
First of all I thought the group had already reviewed this vid a few years back for analyzation? No?
For review there were, as there always were a number of factors in that Long EZ pancaking into the runway:
1) Hi Density Altitude
2) Small Engine: as I recall that was an O235 bird
3) Botched landing profile
   a) Too little speed on short final
   b) Too early deployment of Speed Brake (not needed really at his slow speed at all on short final)
   c) Overall bad runway alignment leading to
4) Botched GO AROUND procedure
After determining he wants to go around with an underpowered bird in high density altitude he misses critical step 1 and leaves the speed brake down.) All the factors are heavy contributors but this sealed his doom)
   1) He chooses to NOT GO AROUND and rather attempt to land once again on the long runway, not applying WOT and keeping the balls to the wall.
   1) So now configured: SLOW, UNDERPOWERED, SPEED BRAKE DEPLOYED, IN HI DENSITY ALTITUDE, the airplane arrived
   2) BEHIND THE POWER CURVE (Thrust & Thrust Horsepower curve for the pointy heads) and once there
   3) The pilot applies full power when he realized he is in trouble, but he is now BEHIND THE POWER CURVE and
   4) The late application of power BEHIND THE POWER CURVE stabilized the the canard in a non bobbing condition between stall and flying that allowed the pilot (FLY AN AIRCRAFT BEHIND THE POWER CURVE) to kept the nose at sufficient up angle to prevent a more catastrophic nose down impact with the hard stuff.

So it was Pilot Error upon error that caused that accident. With all that, he walked away, irrespective of injuries, and that in my book constitutes a good landing.
If any of the group are unfamiliar with POWER CURVES, now is the time to familiarize yourself with them as this video is a textbook example of allowing an aircraft to fall behind the POWER CURVE. In most aircraft, if allowed to get BEHIND THE POWER CURVE on landing, the results are normally fatalities. Our Long EZ driver was blessed that his poor piloting skills occurred in such an amazingly stall resistant aircraft.

Mark B. Magee
N34XL
Sent from IPhone 4S