REFLECTOR: Flying Magazine - 2009 Velocity accident

Reiff Lorenz Reiff at Lorenz.com
Tue Oct 9 16:42:24 CDT 2012

This month's Flying magazine has an article (copy attached) about a Velocity accident in 2009. The plane lost a prop blade and this author believes the pilot mistook the violent shaking to be flutter, pulled abruptly on the stick, put the plane into a deep stall, and had no way to use engine power to break the stall.

I wasn't a Reflector member in 2009 so don't know any more than what is in the article. Is there anything to learn from this apart from the obvious? (Make sure your prop blades stay attached, but recognize the symptoms if they don't, and fly the airplane.)

Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH
Velocity XL-RG, 37% complete
Currently working on: Sanding stuff smooth.

The Velocity Builders' Virtual Hangar<https://liveconferencepro.com/guest/loginguest.php?id=d3a73e710c719626dd353d3b101be90f>. Available 24/7 for builders and owners:
https://liveconferencepro.com/guest/loginguest.php?id=86a48563bb517ade0abf1a7ee1f38e65

PS  I'll be in the hangar from 7 - 9pm EDT tonight (Tuesday is building night!)