REFLECTOR: Epoxy question

Reiff Lorenz Reiff at Lorenz.com
Wed Oct 3 21:54:29 CDT 2012

I'm now using West exclusively. I use the fast hardener and mix it in small batches. Layups gel within an hour. If I hit it with a heat gun after it has gelled (and the exotherm danger has passed) it is fully set and sandable within a few hours. It keeps me building instead of waiting. I switch to the slow hardener for larger batches or projects that I don't expect to work on again in the next for 24 hours.

While we're talking about West products, their 4-inch 45-degree BID tape saves a ton of time cutting tape strips! It's 50% heavier than the 8.9 ounce BID that the kit calls for and its fibers are not woven ( they're held in place with a non-structural thread, like triax), so they are supposedly even stronger than woven BID. Anyone else using this?

Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH
Velocity XL-RG, 37% complete
Currently working on: Fitting cowl to wings.

The Velocity Builders' Virtual Hangar is available 24/7 at:
https://liveconferencepro.com/guest/loginguest.php?id=86a48563bb517ade0abf1a7ee1f38e65

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Lou Stedman
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 6:04 PM
To: Canard Aviators; Velocity Reflector
Subject: REFLECTOR: Epoxy question

I got a lot of different answers to my question about epoxy from everyone. They were much appreciated. Today I called Velocity and asked them. They told me that I used the wrong hardener, which you all told me. They said that I could use the West as long as I used the slower hardener. In my case it is the 206. He did say that the 209 would be better but if I mixed more micros, they would take away some of the heat. He also suggested that instead of trying to fill the entire void which was created, that I epoxy in close cell foam to fill the original area. He told me to let it dry using the 206 and the next day I can cut a slot just a bit larger the the horn and epoxy it into place. The last thing he suggested was to put one layer of bid over the repaired area, sand , and paint.

So today I followed his instructions and had no problem. Tomorrow I will cut my slot and epoxy in the control horn. So not others know the “right” way to do this repair. Thanks again for all of your comments. It helped a lot.

Lou Stedman
Velocity SEFG
N7044Q
Olean, NY