REFLECTOR: Epoxy question

Scott Baker scottb33333 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 15:46:05 CDT 2012

On 10/2/2012 3:32 PM, Lou Stedman wrote:
> I just had something unusual happen to me with epoxy. I am repairing
> my right rudder bell horn. I removed the bell horn and then I opened
> up an area in the rudder about 1/2" wide and the length of the bell
> horn. I removed about another 1/4" of foam inside the rudder so the
> the new epoxy would have a good surface to adhere to. This created a
> area where I could pour in epoxy and then insert the bell horn and
> wait for it to dry. I am using West Epoxy with the West 105 quick dry
> hardener. I decided to mix in some flux to strengthen the mix and
> stiffen it up a bit. I mixed everything up as usual and poured into
> the rudder. I let is set for a couple of minutes and then started to
> insert the bell horn. About that time the epoxy mixture began to
> expand just like expanding insulation does. It was very hot and began
> to omit fumes. The inside was too hard to get my bell horn in so I
> quickly removed all of the epoxy before I got too hard. I have never
> run into this before. Not sure what I did wrong but I would like to
> hear from anyone with suggestions. Maybe I should have use the slow
> cure hardener?
> Lou Stedman
> Velocity SEFG
> N7044Q
> Olean, NY

Hello Lou,
The West System with 105 Resin and 205 Hardener, as you observed, is a
quick reaction Epoxy system that easily results in an exothermic
reaction (lost of heat) - especially when allowed to sit in a "batch"
environment.  Pouring the mixed West System (with 205 hardener) Epoxy
into a cavity allowed the Epoxy to have a runaway chemical reaction that
melted the Styrofoam core in the rudder.  The solution is to go with a
slower hardener like West 206 or 207.
Best,
Scott B.