REFLECTOR: Methods and Tools questions

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Tue Oct 2 15:40:54 CDT 2012

You'll get all sorts of answers on the electric vs air debate.

I compared Craftsman and Ryobi, and went with the Ryobi system. The
reason is because Craftsman would not give me a lifetime outlook on
their current battery format.  Ryobi told me they would stick with the
same battery footprint for at least ten years, and had no plans to change.

Going with battery, you have a lot more options, like lights, vacuums,
etc.  You will need a compressor, but if it's not your main system, you
can get away with a smaller compressor.

If I were to choose again?  Well, it sure would be nice to have a big
compressor.  For me, I think it's a toss up.  You will be buying air
tools and cordless tools.  The question is which do you really invest
in?  The cordless tools have a lot more application around the house.
For example, I have the circular saw, leaf blower and weed trimmer.
They all work to some degree of success.  I will never go back to a
corded circular saw.