REFLECTOR: RS-10B1 problems

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Mon Oct 1 21:57:45 CDT 2012

How much fuel returns to the sump?

Also, how much fuel is too much to attempt to return to the sump? At
some point the vapor amount will be too much as well as heating for the
sump to handle.

I ask, because I was using my sump for fuel return.  I did max fuel
return tests and decided to add an additional one gallon liquid/vapor
separator tank above the sump.

It's plumbed with fuel exit on the left that tees into a sump inlet.
The opposite side is (foamy) return from the fuel pressure regulator.
It is vented to a fuel tank vent.  It fits in the main spar, so it's at
the same height as the tanks.  With testing max bypass flow, it
accumulates vapor till about half vapor, and does not fill up completely
with vapor.  My hope is that with the electric pump off, it will be able
to separate vapor indefinitely.

The reason why I did this, is because one of the failure scenarios for
my incident was fuel starvation due to vapor lock.  I do not think this
was the cause, but it's hopefully more safety.  Oh, and it gives me one
more gallon of useful fuel.