REFLECTOR: N6ZL Cross-Country (was Anybody know who this is?)

Brett Ferrell reflector at velocityxl.com
Wed Nov 28 07:57:20 CST 2012

{on behalf of Angel Monzon}

Hi All , specially to Larry Perryman.

We have just arrived home from an intense week in USA. We took final
delivery of our Velocity XL-RG based in Van Nuys and flew it all the way to
Sebastian , Florida for an condition inspection for the ferry flight to
Spain.

After solving a few problems with the aircraft we departed Van Nuys on the
19th November late at around 4pm after solving some problems with the
landing gear system and a terrible functioning Radio. We could only make it
to Mesa gateway in the Phoenix area and spend the nigh there. We did not
push hard on the engine since this was the first really big flight for the
aircraft. we stayed low till out of LA area and then climbed to 9500ft. at
that altitude I could only work with 15.6 inches of Map due to the
propeller reaching its maximum coarse pitch at 3700Rpm. With that all I was
getting 165ktas and a fuel burn of 11.5 Gal/hr of 100LL.

Next Day was visit day for our now Friend for ever Larry Perryman. The
850Nm from Mesa we make it with one stop cause both Alfredo and I could not
handle it without a peepee stop. We were heading for San Angelo and had to
stop before that at a small field in Texas (Winkler co) .Once everything
left at INK we went all the way to Conroe. Larry came right away to the FBO
we were at and told us to taxi to his Hangar so he could take a look at our
engine installation and installed a water thermostat since we were having
temps of 167 in water and oil and higher temps 200F in the PSRU oil due to
an air box that we build for it and that it was not letting the air flow
correctly. He also made a 3 inches round hole on the air box and temps from
there to Lafayette were improved to the 185/190F so we plan to give some
more air to this air box we have build. He also gave us two qt of lube, a
bottle of TX-7 and another bottle of antispip. Incredible. What a beautiful
person we all have there.

The flight to Lafayette was made at night and we arrived after seven . we
made it at 3500ft and 5500ft and pushing it a little harder we were getting
160kts at 3900rpm and a fuel burn of 13.6Gal/hr. I think once the prop gets
right we will have a much better performance. I think this engine does not
like to fly at does high rpm settings. 2000/2100 Prop rpm are the best for
it, since our almost flat torque curve. We had also installed an air box to
the air filter to get some more MAP at toff and it worked very well so far.
Before we were only getting 27.5 inches at sea level and 4300 rpm and now
we get 29 inches.

Next day, Thanks Giving Day, we fly along the coast of New Orleans and the
north to avoid all the military zones. We made a fuel stop at Ocala which
was a dead city. Then we make a short flight to Sebastian but had to make a
go around cause of winds at 90º of 35/40kts which is too much for the Velo
and my short canard experience , so we ended in Fort Pierce which has a
northerly RWY (32) which worked much better for us. We had to sleep there
and next morning made the 15 minutes flight to Sebastian where luckily were
someone to help us and give a ride to Melbourne to take a rent a car for
Miami Intern.

The flight was a pleasure and the aircraft and engine work nicely.

Once thing you have to take care of is, with the new modification to the
ECU, don´t forget that now above 4550 rpm you will have the fuel cut to
protect the ECU and is not nice to found out while on a go around like I
did. Just course the prop and all solved, but at the time cold sweating
around my neck.

I'm planning to visit the aircraft to check all the modifications I have
requested to Velocity on January. Will tell you how performance improved
after all is done.

Once again our thank you to Larry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTfPjqXLLPg&feature=g-upl

Angel