REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 92, Issue 64

Dave T Nelson dtnelson at us.ibm.com
Thu Nov 22 09:40:00 CST 2012

Hi Richard.  Your friend is exactly right - you do need to have slip joints
of some type on each cylinder of your exhaust.  You should also check to
make sure that they are free to move - I do that as a part of my preflight.
If you don't, any exhaust will eventually fail, and it can go through the
prop.  That's not true of just "in the cowl" exhaust systems - that's true
of every exhaust system.  A safety of some type is also a requirement of
any exhaust on a pusher.  Remember - you have to consider anything aft of
the firewall as a direct threat to your prop and make sure it's safetied...

I had the two into one exhaust exiting the bottom of the cowl for awhile.
The drag penalty was 8-10 knots.  Shooting the exhaust straight out of the
bottom creates a huge plume of flat plate drag....

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dave

Dave T. Nelson
T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering

   1. Re:  STG-RG Performance (Richard J. Gentil)

----- Message from "Richard J. Gentil" <richard at naples-air-center.com> on
Thu, 22 Nov 2012 08:00:21 -0500 -----

      To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
          <reflector at tvbf.org>

 Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: STG-RG Performance

I had the help and advise of a long time builder who had built several EZ's
among his long list of aircraft.

I was thinking of a EZ style exhaust for my SERG but he recommended against
it because of complexity.

His primary concern was that you need springs, brackets, hardware, etc to
hold the exhaust in place and many an EZ owner have had those part break
off and go right through the prop.

For that reason I went with 2 to 1 exhausts that I cut flush with the
bottom of my cowling safety wired to the engine mount.

With as fragile as MT props are I wanted to eliminate as best as possible
anything going through the prop.

Richard

Sent from my iPhone 5