REFLECTOR: Early model Velocity RG Engine Cooling

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 20 12:12:40 CST 2012

David,

I have the armpit scoops and they work very well.  I have a Franklin engine with a downdraft plenum that is connected to the air inlets with 4" scat tubing.  This time of year I have trouble keeping my CHT above 200 F.  I made a modification to the scoops by adding an internal venturi to the scoops to enhance pressure recovery.  I think it worked pretty well since I blew a scat tube off one side of the plenum during 200 Knt flutter testing.  I make sure I get the clamps real tight now.  To get top NACA scoops to work, most find that they have to put vortex generators ahead of them.  IMHO the only reason for going with NACA's is they look cool period.

Larry Coen
N136LC

P.S.:  As a way to solve all your problems, you could buy my plane and go flying right away. :>)