REFLECTOR: Early model Velocity RG Engine Cooling (David Smith)

Dave T Nelson dtnelson at us.ibm.com
Tue Nov 20 09:21:58 CST 2012

Dave, feel free to contact me directly or give me a call on this, but I'll
net it out very simply.  Put in the roof top NACA scoops.

I've tried pretty much every conceivable cooling solution on my STD-RG.  I
had the armpit scoops you are starting with for years.  For a period of
time (almost two years) my plane was nearly unflyable due to cooling
issues.  It's a long sad story having to do with go-fast mods, and filled
with twists and turns, but the net is... the roof top NACA solution
completely solved the problem to the point where my CHTs are arguably too
cool... and it wasn't very hard to install... and it looks great.

Dave

Dave T. Nelson
T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering

----- Message from David Smith <dwsmithaircraft at yahoo.com> on Tue, 20 Nov
2012 06:15:44 -0800 (PST) -----

      To: "reflector at tvbf.org" <reflector at tvbf.org>

 Subject: REFLECTOR: Early model Velocity RG Engine
          Cooling

I have bought and am rebuilding a damaged Standard Velocity RG. It appears
it has gone through a couple of air inlet mods with the latest being under
strakes at wing to fuselage corners. I am at the stage where I would like
to incorporate the best cooling to drag design before paint. The baffling
that came with the aircraft is all wrong for the flow in the cowl. I have
looked and thought about differences between up-flow and down-flow cooling
with down-flow being simplest with baffling, but with low air inlets being
simplest at modification. Any suggestion or a point in where to go for info
will be appreciated.