REFLECTOR: Propellers 1 2 3 4 Blades

Bob Jackson (Jax Tech) bobj at JaxTechLLC.com
Sat Nov 17 22:41:07 CST 2012

Ron,

We have ~500 hrs on an MT 3-blade, and ~300 hrs on an MT 4-blade.  The
4-blade is quieter and smoother (and there don't seem to be any 'beat' noise
effects due to wing interaction, like you hear on Cozy's and LongEZ's with
two blade props).

We also seem to have fewer FOD issues with the 4-blade, even though the
diameter is only ~1" less (the big difference between MT 3 and 4 is the
smaller blade area of the 4-bladed prop.

What we didn't get with the 4-blade was the 'dramatic' performance
improvement at altitude (above 15 Kft) that we were hoping for.  And no
dramatic changes either in take-off roll, climb rate, top end speed, etc..
Maybe a small improvement in engine cooling (better low pressure draw from
the cowling ducts).

Bob Jackson
'Turbo Cross Country' Velocity XL-RG
N2XF  TNIO-550N