REFLECTOR: trailing edge thickness and vortex generators

David Ullman ullman at robustdecisions.com
Tue May 29 22:16:40 CDT 2012

Testing is going well.  I have about 10 hours + the test pilot's 10 hours,
so about half way through the fourty hours.  Crummy weather last week so I
put in the Dynon autopilot servos.  I have only tested them on the ground so
far.  Weather nice this week, but am at the beach with wife - need to keep
her happy.

On Monday, I was flew to a Memorial day event with the Velo and a very
knowledgeable guy (owns the company that makes the Venture (Questair) )
commented on the sharpness of the trailing edge of my ailerons.  As you may
remember, my plane had bad aileron snatch.  I fixed this in four ways 1) gap
seal, 2) rounding the front of the lower counterbalance, 3) rigging both
ailerons slightly up and 4) adding vortex generators to both the canard and
the wing.  The TEs were very sharp and are now about 1/8" thick.  The plane
flys very well now.

I would like to get rid of the VGs (ugly, slices people who touch the plane
(not all bad, but the blood is messy) and eats some speed).  Alan Tolle (the
Venture guy) said the TEs should be about 1/4 and any thinner is inviting
snatch.  So, I am wondering, can get rid of the VGs if I fatten the TE of
the Ailerons and still have the good handling I currently enjoy?

Any knowledge on this?

David Ullman
N444DX
President EAA 292