REFLECTOR: First problem - Shipping!

Clayton Chase chasec at gmail.com
Tue May 22 22:49:16 CDT 2012

So I've got the XL-FG kit now, but it's down in California near LA and
I'm up in Seattle.   I want to send the kit to the factory but am
having some trouble finding a shipper, let alone crating the thing up.
 I don't have the time available to drive it myself, unfortunately.

My current plan is to fly down there this weekend with some power
tools, rent a truck at Home Depot, load it up with plywood and other
stuff as necessary and build a crate to hold the kit in it's entirety
and tarp it up.   Let the kit sit outside in the previous owner's
driveway until a shipper can come pick it up and take it to Florida
for me.

I'd like to pay less than $2,000 for the shipping, but the quotes I
get depend a LOT on what I say I'm shipping.   If I give them the same
weight and size, I get about $1800 if it's "Fiberglass pieces" but
$3500 if it's "Fiberglass airplane pieces".   The National Motor
Freight Classification system is not very easy to understand.

I have a few questions I need help with:

#1:  Is there anything better to do than build a big 16' x 6' x 6' box
and ship it with absolutely everything inside?
#2:  Does anybody have experience with a shipper that did a good job
delivering a kit that they would recommend?
#3:  If you ever shipped a kit, what NMFC class did you use?

I'm open to ideas and recommendations.

Thanks for all your help!

Clayton Chase