REFLECTOR: Front fixed gear question

Grover McNair grover at mcnairperformance.com
Tue May 22 11:26:06 CDT 2012

A note on balancing wheels: Weights should be put on opposite the low spot.
That would be 180 degrees from the bottom point. An equal amount of weight
should be used on both sides of the wheel to avoid a dynamic imbalance.

In balancing a car tire, it rarely takes more than 3-4oz. Usually 1-2oz. One
stick of stick on weights is 1.5oz. They are segmented in .25oz pieces.  If
you use more than a stick, I would be very concerned that something was
wrong with the structure of the tire or perhaps it might have a bad flat
spot. Normally balancing a small aviation tire should take less than 1oz.

Grover McNair

  _____