REFLECTOR: Progress

Jack Prock jackprock at wavecable.com
Thu May 17 23:33:40 CDT 2012

Hi,

I am working on the final design of my electrical system and was wondering if anyone has used a standard
keyed ignition (OFF-Left-Right-BOTH) when set up with one mag and one electronic ignition system?

Up until today, I was thinking that I could use a standard aircraft keyed switch, but I didn’t realize that the mag is shut off by
grounding out one of the leads. This means that when the keyed switch is in the off position, the two terminals and the center
post are actually connected. And when in the BOTH position, the two terminals and the center post are not connected.

I can think of a way to use the keyed switch... but the motion of the key turns from right to left, not left to right. I would just need
to create a new label and use a relay for the Mag connection. This would have the added benefit of not having the mag wire
anywhere near the radios to cut down on e-noise. I just don’t like the opposite key rotation.

Are people with electronic ignitions using a two simple switches?  1) Elec-IGN   2) MAG
Do you have a key/lockset at all?

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jack