REFLECTOR: Egt

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Sat May 12 09:23:23 CDT 2012

Michael,

Seems to me like you are running rich. If the plugs and exhaust are sooty, that would confirm it. Not sure what altitude you cruise at, but 15GPH sounds high at cruise as well.
All engines have a "sweet spot" where they make power at an acceptable fuel burn (relatively speaking). Go above that, and sure they run fine and will make more power, but the fuel burn curve steepens (sometimes dramatically). Chevys are no different and that sweet spot is very fine.

3500 and 21" sounds pretty good, but the 1300 sounds like you are just wasting fuel. Specially considering that you are using 100LL. That fuel should not make a difference in your richness setting, but it will provide a higher safety margin against detonation at higher temps.
IF the spec sheet or cylinder head numbers say that 1400 is good, I would go with that.

You can clean the plugs and exhaust tips, then go for a flight at 1400 and recheck. As long as the plugs do not show signs of running to hot or lean, you should be fine. I would bet that your fuel burn goes down noticeably as well.

Hopefully Dave will pipe in with his experience. Mine is based on my years of engine building and work, but not actually flying my V-6 yet.
I usually fly my other aircraft at 1400, but it is an old Lyco 540.

Kurt