REFLECTOR: Flight testing

David Ullman ullman at robustdecisions.com
Fri May 11 08:29:40 CDT 2012

Thanks for all the comments on flight testing and rpm.  Very informative.

Yesterday I did my first real "trip" - 20 minutes up the Willamette Valley
to Independence Airpark, 7S5.  This is where my EAA Section is and where I
have had much help in getting 444DX up and flying.  I have been flying out
of Corvallis (CVO) with its 5000ft runway.  7S5 is 3100 ft.  I practiced on
the 5000ft runway until I could consistently stop in under 2500 (I did one
at 1700ft).  The landing at 7S5 went fine and I will take the Velo back up
tomorrow for the EAA meeting. The members have been listening to my progress
for years, so tomorrow I can show off a little.

One big difference in landings is getting the idle rpm down.  This really
lowered the landing distance.

David Ullman
N-444DX Velocity
EAA 292 President