REFLECTOR: Brakes

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Thu May 10 10:30:09 CDT 2012

I hate brake fade.

I would like to experiment one of these days and make my own discs with
drilled holes (1/32") drilled radially through the disk.  When they get
hot, spray water into these holes to remove hopefully enough heat to
prevent the fading problem.

I also have a design for a steerable nosewheel that I am definitely
going to make.  My first design was integrated with the brake system,
but I never liked it.  Too many parts to keep in working order.  I
redesigned it to be electrically powered, and that one looks good.

My metalworking machinery has been in storage since I moved to a new
house about four years ago.  The hangar doesn't have 220V, but I may
have to see about how to fix that problem.