REFLECTOR: Burst of Static

William Walker blwalker105 at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 10 09:07:17 CDT 2012

Has anyone experienced the following rude behavior from their Garmin SL30?

 In my plane the SL30 is NavCom 2. With my PMA8000SR set to Nav 2 and the VOR is still out of range, pressing the ID button on the SL30 results in a loud, continuous static blast on both the "Identification" mode and "Voice" mode. This blast is uncontrollable with any volume knob.

When the station is in range, the system's Ident and Voice functions work normally.

Strangely, my friend just installed a new SL30 in his LongEze and it does the same thing.

Any ideas?

Bill Walker