REFLECTOR: Engine builder advice needed

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Thu May 10 08:30:03 CDT 2012

Guys,

I'll try to learn more from ECI today.  They do know its for an
experimental, but I think once the parts come in, they get broadly
distributed thruout their plant, and the guy who handled the cam may not
have known this, so I'll check.

Being an LIO-360 cam, I'm gathering that used/serviceable ones are not as
available, but I'll do some more scouting around to see if I can find
something.

My rebuild was going very nicely and I was looking fwd to getting all the
shiny new and refurb'd parts back.  To be honest, the cost of this rebuild
had surprised me so far.  Local A&P's warned me that even if I did all the
labor it would be $10-15K.  Right now, all in I suspect it'll be ~$7.5K
(unless I have to shell out $3.6K for a new cam).  Rough cost break down:
$3.2K - cylinder rebuilds, $1.5K inspect/recon crank, cases, rods, $2K
consumables (i.e. gasket kit, rod bolts, all new hardware, piston pins,
spark plugs...), $600 fuel controller/distributor rebuild, $250 EI unit
checkout/rebuild.

A new cam would put it up over $10K, unfortunately.

Thanks.

Geoff