REFLECTOR: Engine builder advice needed

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Wed May 9 19:11:53 CDT 2012

Hi all,

So, I'm rebuilding my LIO-360.  All the inner bits (case, crank, cam, rods
et cetera) were sent to ECI for inspection/rebuild.  I got a call today
that they're just about ready to ship everything back but said my cam was
rejected for excessive wear on two lobes that could not be polished out.
 There was no pitting on the cam or unusual wear marks (my observation
before sending it).  Because this is a "LIO" engine, cams are not very
popular.  After a cursory phone around, it looks like a new $3600 cam from
Lycoming might be my only option.

I've got to call ECI back tomorrow and check on this more, tho.  I don't
understand why they can't regrind it - is that not something that's done on
aircraft cams?  I see that there are companies (Aircraft Specialty
Services) that offer grinding for experimentals - I'm wondering if that
might be an option.  I've seen cams a lot worse than the one out be
reground (these were for Porsche engines, tho).  Is there an issue about
grinding/rehardening a Lycoming cam?

Thanks.

Geoff