REFLECTOR: Dual Stick Control Installation

Jones Nick nick.jones at volvo.com
Wed Mar 28 07:50:11 CDT 2012

Bob,

I have installed the dual side sticks as a retrofit. I followed the instructions loosely as they were not complete yet. I think I got one of the first retrofit side sticks.

I found out that if you are installing the center console, it makes a great difference to the installation. At first I wasn't going to cut down the keel and just attach to the existing aluminum torque tube that runs through the keel and the forward bearing. But to do this I had to cut the tail off the center console and offset the engine controls to the right as far as possible to clear the torque tube. I could never get the center console from looking like a hack job so I bit the bullet and put the tail back on the center console and cut the keel down, and moved the engine controls to the center. However, I didn't want to have to reverse the aileron bell crank to do a complete XL-5 conversion so I cut the keel down about half of the XL-5 conversion and modified the center console to fit. I had to add a universal joint at the rear of the keel to offset the new angle the torque tube had to make. BTW, if you do cut the keel down, you will want to buy the carbon fiber keel cap from Velocity. I don't know how they can make it for what they are selling it for. If you want more details and pics I can get them when I go to the hangar tonight.

Best regards,

Nick and Connie Jones
Velocity XL-RG
N10CN