REFLECTOR: Engine testing

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Tue Mar 27 19:28:30 CDT 2012

This weekend we got a lot done on the plane.
I am still using the stock bumper, and just shimmed it to reduce the
rake angle to about 3 degrees.  The manual calls for 2-4deg.  I also had
a bad copilot headset problem that I fixed.

After getting the canard back on, I removed the prop and went from three
washers to two washers, and left it in a two blade configuration.  Since
it's pretty warm, I duct taped two leaf blowers to the cylinder plenums
for cooling.  That's the way to do ground testing.  I wish I could have
them in there all the time for taxi operations.

We put about 15 minutes of max power testing on the engine, with few
hiccups.  Interesting thing.  The turbo wastegate is open, but I still
occasionally got boost, and a bump in RPM's to redline.  I think the
engine is strong, and don't see any reason it would fail me again.
Knock on wood.  Doing a mag check, I do have a bad #5 plug on the mag.
I'll swap that out with a fresh one to see if that problem goes away.

This weekend is time for weight and balance, then obtain repairmans
cert, sign off annual, get medical, get BFR and do it.

I'm not sure the wife is up to letting me fly the second first flight.
Actually, I know she's not up for it.  Is anyone near Austin that does
this?  I seem to recall someone near Dallas?