REFLECTOR: V-twin

Reiff Lorenz Reiff at Lorenz.com
Tue Mar 27 16:20:46 CDT 2012

Nick,

No need to worry about Harley. They don't have a trademark on that engine moniker. (They do lay claim to Dyna, Electra Glide, Softail, Sportster, and other trademarks.) In fact, it seems V-twin is a generic term for any 2-cylinder piston engine that is not inline or opposed, just like V-8 is a generic term, so nobody could successfully claim an engine trademark on V-Twin.

I didn't do a full trademark search, but I couldn't find any evidence that V-Twin was being used by other aircraft companies. There were hundreds of other V-Twin companies (including a winery, a motorcycle shop, a rock band, and lots of restaurants), but I didn't see any that meet the definition of infringement: where use of the name V-Twin by Velocity would create a likelihood-of-confusion about the origin of Velocity's goods or services.

If Velocity tried to name their new plane the Harley Softail Duece, we'd be having a different conversation!

Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH
Velocity XL-RG, 30% done
Sent elevator torque tubes back to Sebastian for side-stick attachment points.

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Jones Nick
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:30 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: V-twin

I hope that you have checked the availability of the V-Twin name. Harley-Davidson is fiercely protective of every part of their brand and one of the things that HD is noted for is the V-Twin engine. They have even tried to patent the sound of the engine. I would hate to see you guys having to spend time and money on this issue.

Best regards,
Nick