REFLECTOR: EFIS/WAAS GPS

Brett Ferrell reflector at velocityxl.com
Tue Mar 27 13:01:42 CDT 2012

Mark,

Most EFIS don't depend exclusively on the GPS signal.  For intance, I know
that the GRT drops into "dead reckoning" mode when the GPS signal is lost,
using airspeed, static pressure, accelerometers, and magnetometer to
generate the display.  It can also display a localizer and glideslope from
the radio.  I do have backup steam gauges for airspeed, altitude, and an
electric ADI (and slip/skid in my autopilot), and I'm not instrument rated,
but when GPS is up and working I plan to use the heck out of it.

Brett