REFLECTOR: EFIS/WAAS GPS

Mark Magee edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 12:37:46 CDT 2012

Hi Kevin,
Earlier I posted my concerns about GPS as the sole heart lungs and brain of an EFIS package. Nobody added to my posts so I don't know what that meant entirely, yet you might look them up in the archives. GPS jamming is a known problem and growing. There is a real chance your approach into (for instance) Branson MO at night in IMC that a pharmaceutical salesman in a company car will have deployed his EBay bought GPS jammer that will keep his company from knowing where he/she was in the company vehicle will drive on a county road intersecting your glide path to the numbers. If your reliant on GPS only to get to the runway, you could be in serious trouble. If you don't have Electronic INAV or steam gauge back up, not good.
A more probable scenario is that the female Pharma salesperson parked her company car in the Branson Airport parking lot, left the GPS Jammer on (plugs into the cig adapter) and her pilot boyfriend picks her up for a weekend in Vail. She leaves her GPS jammer on all weekend long and you lose your NAV (EFIS) before you descend below the soup.
I personally won't let GPS alone run an instrument approach because of this issue. Apparently it is easily jammed

Mark B. Magee
Sent from IPhone 4