REFLECTOR: Engine top-end rebuild, powder coating parts

Geoff Gerhardt geoff at thegerhardts.com
Sun Mar 25 18:45:36 CDT 2012

Hi all,

You may remember that I had started my engine up the first time a month or
so ago and taxied around, but later found my engine was not making enough
power.  After troubleshooting with your help, I found two issues: My
LightSpeed electronic ignition box was putting out a very weak spark for
cylinders 3/4, and I had very low compression on all cylinders.  My EI box
is off to LSE for repair.  I talked to Klaus last week and he had found the
problem and was repairing it.  Regarding my poor compression, I've
determined it was due to poor engine storage (my fault) and the effects of
corrosion had crept in.  My cylinders are off for a rebuild - its likely
three weeks before I see them again.

So, having some time on my hands, I decided to powder coat my intake tubes
and valve covers.  I had already painted them once, and had used good
quality engine paint and baked the paint on, but the paint was still
chipping off.  So, since I have time now while the cylinders are out, I
thought I'd powder coat them.  They came out pretty nice.  If you've never
done powder coating before, you should give it a try - very easy to get
great results.  I put up a video of me coating my valve covers on my
website if you want to have a look.

http://thegerhardts.com/velocity/?p=371

Geoff
[image: Inline image 1]