REFLECTOR: Obtaining Repairmans Certificate - Static RPM

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Thu Mar 22 15:31:54 CDT 2012

Yup.  I've had all those experiences as well.  I also notice a smell if
I retract quickly.  The first time I thought something electrical was
overheating, but figure it must be the brakes.  Before you go to the
trouble of taking the prop apart, you might want to try what I do -
taking off at reduced power.  I add power to get 2300 rpm.  The
acceleration is noticeably less, however the TO roll doesn't change that
much.  I get a comfortable climb at initially 500 fpm and then 1000-1500
fpm once the gear is up.  The rpm gradually increases to 2600 and I
don't have to adjust the prop or the pitch.  I believe this performance
is similar to what you would get if you added the washer(s) (and used
full power).  The advantages are.

1)  Not taking the prop apart

2)  Not beating up the engine every time you take off

3)  You still have max TO/climbing capability should you ever need it.

John