REFLECTOR: Auto fuel

Mark Magee edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 20:26:57 CDT 2012

Back in the late 80's and early 90's most of the Long EZ community running
the 0-235 were running Mogas. Never heard of a problem and this was before
Jeffco was recommended. Our concern was always a pinhole in the tank
seeping into the foam. I know the Mogas formulation has dramatically
changed since then, ethanol etc. Nonetheless, a pinhole leak remains a
problem as it would be in any gas tank! You just have to think that the
potential for a pinhole leak will increase with any fuel tank, made of
-any- material as it ages. The sloshing compounds have minimized this but
can't prevent it. If the pin-hole seeped 100LL does less damage than Mogas,
Hurray? I suppose.
Pinhole leaks just don't upset the aluminum birds as much as they don't
degrade the superstructure once out of the tank. But they still get them
and are expensive to repair. Initial sealing of tanks is important, yet
will not guarantee a flexing composite structure won't develop a pinhole.
Chemistry of fuel can't fix a pinhole :(

Mark Magee
N34XL XLFG 300HP 80 HRS
Brady TX