REFLECTOR: Max takeoff weight - short wing FG

Karl J. Warner karljwarnerpa at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 14 12:37:16 CDT 2012

Mine is a 200hp short wing fg with MT.  When hot and heavy (2400lbs) I'm looking for 60 kts at halfway or abort.  I also set full up trim all the way to the stop and hold foward canard pressure until the 60 kts number, releasing this forward pressure and looking for that light nose feeling from that point on.

A memorable TO run was a 100+ degree (the tarmac was over 100 I'm sure) with 95% humidity in FL, which even at sea level put me at 3K or higher density altitude, fighting a gusty and variable crosswind, windsock moving back and forth from a little help to a little hurt.  The breaking action needed until the rudders took over significantly increased the pucker factor and I'll estimate we used 3500 ft of 4K even after seeing 60kts at 2K feet.  In these circumstances I'll also keep the airplane on the mains looking for as high an airspeed as possible making the transition to flying fairly abrupt and positive event.