REFLECTOR: Blow by

David Rene Dugas renedugas at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 22:19:02 CST 2012

My IO 540 does the same at 8.5 quarts it burns almost no oil but if I fill above 9 qts it blows out in 30 min of flight.  I don't know this but I always thought it was from standard blow-by forcing many more and bigger droplets out because of climb and descent causing the oil to slosh and stay either forward or aft and the oil is now being struck by the crank as it turns throwing large drops around and some go out the breather instead of a faint mist it is like a storm.  I get very little actual negative G flight experiences but with our plane the angle of the engine is fairly dramatic in climbs and descents.  I don't have an engine to test this but sure would like to hear from someone who tilts and engine 15 degrees up or down and see where the oil strikes the internal rotating parts.
I may be way off and I'll probably be bashed but seems reasonable.
Rene'