REFLECTOR: Blow by

Lou Stedman stedmanlou at roadrunner.com
Sat Mar 10 11:01:51 CST 2012

Last week we were discussing the amount of oil different engines burn in a given time. I mentioned that I do not fill up my crankcase because the first quart will blow out within an hour if I do that . However if I fill to six quarts I don’t go through another quart for about four to five hours. After that I got a note from someone that I should not do as I described as it is a indication that there is a blow by problem with my engine (Lyc IO-360). If this is true, what is the cause of blow by?

Lou Stedman
Velocity SEFG
N7044Q
Olean, NY