REFLECTOR: Fitting a New Nose Gear Bumper

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Sat Mar 10 10:07:30 CST 2012

 From the manual, I see that the drill location for the nose gear bolt
is 2-1/8" aft of the canard bulkhead.
What is the diameter of the strut?  Perhaps someone could measure their
strut-to-CB distance for me?

If I get a rubber block that is too soft, the strut will impact the
canard bulkhead.  If I get one that is too hard, what happens?  Will the
strut break on landing?  I have the equations to calculate the hardness
needed, but I don't know what the desired deflection is.  Maybe I'm over
engineering this, and the original engineering was just a SWAG anyway?

Someone mentioned using a block of urethane.  That would seem to be a
very hard material.