REFLECTOR: Nose Wheel castoring while taxiing

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Tue Mar 6 12:47:43 CST 2012

Since we are on the subject of the nose gear bumper:

I already related to the group that I did more taxi testing this
weekend.  I have two squawks to address.

The first is the draggy brakes, that is in a different thread.

The second is what I think is excessive nose gear rake.  I measured the
angle of the gear, and it's at 6deg.  The manual calls for 2 to 4 deg.
The symptom is that when I make a hard turn, the wheel castors to about
90deg, and with the rake, the nose drops a bit.  Then, getting that
wheel back in trail to taxi straight requires some power and skill,
because the nose must be lifted back up an inch or two to get the wheel
back in trail.

Does the new bumper add any thickness?  The one I have came from the RRL
trainer plane, and looked fine.  My plan was to add some spacers to mine
to get the rake back within limits.

Or should I even bother with this?  Right now, I have zero tension on
the castoring to make it easier to taxi.  This problem will get worse
when I tighten it up for first flight.