REFLECTOR: Nose gear gas strut

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 10:15:58 CST 2012

Don,

I had a similar problem.  I ended up pulling the gas strut out of mine and
finding that it had lost most of its oompf.  I replaced it with one of the
same length I got from an autoparts store.  I grabbed the two different
pressures they had in that length and tried them both and returned one of
them.  I forget what force I ended up keeping.  It doesn't take too much to
move it over center, the old gas strut that was in there could easily be
compressed by hand and just didn't do the trick.  I think these gas struts
just loose their pressure over time.  Since my kit was purchased by the
original builder in the 90's, it was pretty old.

Geoff