REFLECTOR: Breather tube

Jones Nick nick.jones at volvo.com
Fri Mar 2 12:10:38 CST 2012

Ruben, the best position is facing aft. The last thing you want to do is pressurize the crankcase. Also, on the certified aircraft there is a relief hole in the tube just inside the cowling to prevent the crankcase from becoming pressurized in the event the tube freezes up with ice.

The ideal situation is to create a vacuum in the crankcase. This helps prevent leaks, increases horsepower (and efficiency) although slightly. Back when I raced cars, I would weld in a fitting at the exhaust collector cut at a 45 degree angle to use the exhaust to pull a vacuum on the crankcase trying to get every ounce of power from the engine.

Best regards,

Nick and Connie Jones
Velocity XL-RG
N10CN