REFLECTOR: Engine back together

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 08:01:46 CDT 2012

John,

I noticed last week that the post that describes my engine was cut short,
I'm not sure if this part of the rebuild was covered.  I've corrected that
now, tho, so you can see process I used there now (
http://thegerhardts.com/velocity/?p=397 ).

In summary, I did not use silk thread, instead I used Loctite 515 only.
 There is a Lycoming service
instruction<http://www.lycoming.com/support/publications/service-instructions/pdfs/SI1125D.pdf>that
describes this option.  My engine had silk thread on it when I opened
the cases.  There wasn't much silk thread left, but you could clearly see
marks on the case parting lines where the thread was.

Now, I recently started my engine and did notice a little oil seepage along
the top case part near the front of the engine.  I tightened the bolts
around the seepage and have not noticed any more, but I haven't run it all
that much.  My advice would still be to use the Loctite 515, but I would
apply it to both sides of the case (the Lycoming service note indicates
that it should only be applied to one side).

If you're going to use Loctite 515, you just need to buy the little 6mL
<http://www.mcmaster.com/#loctite®/=i6r8hk>tube of it (similar in size to
the tube of loctite thread locker).  You could probably build 5 engines
with that amount as you only put a thin coat on the case parting surface.

Geoff