REFLECTOR: Gliding Distance

Mark Magee edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 06:40:19 CDT 2012

Brooke, All,
I was reviewing Glide Ratio and found this:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/glideratiocalc.html

Whoever these folks are they as well subscribe to THE NAVY WAY in calculating GLIDE RATIO, as I was brainwashed into in my youth.
I was just verifying the brainwashing wasn't losing it's effect in my old age. 15 to 1 GLIDE RATIO = 15 feet/meters/NM (units) forward and 1 foot/meter/NM down.
Brooke I'm not sure what the AIR FORCE brainwashes, but I never really understood you guys anyhow. None of the stuff you guys fly will land on a boat! Feeble landing gear. Incomprehensible to me! Why would you guys give up a perfectly good strip in the middle of the ocean of your choice worldwide? Maybe with that GLIDE RATIO you guys learned you figured you might make it to shore? (They lied to you!). We could land on all your strips. And only soil 1/8th of your perfectly manicured 12,000' runway! Thank you very much!
At least the Navy played it straight with us, and gave us a strip on a boat to keep us out of the drink. :)

Mark B. Magee
N34XL XLFG
Sent from IPhone 4