REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 87, Issue 124

Patrick Horvath phorvath at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 20 19:15:15 CDT 2012

Hello Mark -

If I use it, it's only right after touchdown and below 1250 RPM (a safety switch - which takes a second or so).  Moderate throttle works fine, and it's usually back off by about 30-40 kts to minimize blade tip paint removal.  Additionally, the BETA is effective for deceleration at higher speeds, while brakes seem much more effective at lower speeds. I'm sure it saves the brakes when I use it.

Other than trying it once or twice, we haven't used BETA at all for backing up on the ramp.  As cool as it would seem to do, the blade tips take a beating pretty quickly.  It's also noisy - the blades don't take much of a bite in BETA so you have to add a lot more throttle to back down than to push forward.

However, it absolutely would be a great picture to be pulling out of the ramp in BETA looking over my shoulder out the door!

And i agree - JB Weld is our new best friend. ;)

Patrick

Sent from my iPhone