REFLECTOR: Gliding Distance

Terrence Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 20 10:20:49 CDT 2012

Brett,

I deleted your post, but I want to comment briefly about 110 ias as a down
drift speed.  I will be using something close to that too were I above 5000
AGL, in conjunction with constant awareness of prevailing winds above 20
kts, and being able to pull up NSRT airport info from my GPS without
thinking twice how to do that.   Never mind about triple your altitude minus
field elevation.  Just double it.  If you are 5000 and flying in the
mid-west you can go 10 miles.    I am disinclined to hard formula speak
except for hangar flying and understanding the physics of all this.  That
said if you are trying to hold 85 kts, you will have mushy controls compared
to the normal airloads and control displacements you are used to for normal
in-flight maneuvering.  (Normal in an XL being just above 100 IAS)

Realize that most pilots will have a tendency not to keep the descent rate
going when the ground starts coming up at them.read: anticipate getting too
slow.   Trim and let go.  It will feel different.  Realize you will likely
want to have a speed pad to execute a flare prior to touch down.  Take your
hand off the throttle, which isn't helping you any, and use it to point at
your airspeed indicator.   Think about how uncomfortable it would be to push
the nose over to get back 5 knots when below 500 feet on final.   All these
things argue for high approach airspeed, confidence in yourself and your
equipment and arm chair procedural training that threads like this should
prompt all of us to be doing.  Payoff is the last 30 seconds-or that last
300 feet-wings level and with energy to swap in the flare.  Have your
passenger prompt you at 5 knots slow.  You guys have been there, and did a
great job, and know about all the sensory overload of this.

Sorry about the lecture.   Maybe someone picked up a neglected
consideration.

Terry

Flying Tigers Retired