REFLECTOR: Gliding Distance

Brett Ferrell reflector at velocityxl.com
Tue Jun 19 13:02:53 CDT 2012

We never did a measurement, and I'm not totally sure how to do a true
measurement honestly, but when we had a fixed pitch prop our XL glided like
crazy ([LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZrv16khqRU] check out the
video of Scott flying our plane, the first time he flew a fixed-pitch XL),
so I suspect you might do better with a stopped prop.  With our MT we can
easily fly the glideslope, but need to have some power to get there.

Also, I thought the published best glide speed was 110 kias??  Am I wrong?

Brett

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012, at 01:44 PM, Brooke Wolf wrote:
> Steve
.Just to be clear, do you mean 9.5 to 1, i.e., 9500 feet forward
for every 1000 ft altitude loss?  It looks like mine is nearer 8.5 to 1.
Somehow, somewhere I got the idea it would be 15 to 1!  Maybe that is with
a stopped prop.