REFLECTOR: FWD: Airventure Cup 2012

Brett Ferrell reflector at velocityxl.com
Tue Jun 12 16:54:47 CDT 2012

Just forwarding this from the race director and sponsors....
As you may know the well planned AirVenture Cup race was put in jeopardy
recently when the race director was informed that the EAA was not going to
support it as it had in the past.  As a gold sponsor representative I was
notified by the race director that the race was being cancelled and the
check would be returned.  That has been overcome by the hard work of the
race director Eric Whyte and his race staff in a cooperative effort with
the EAA and SARL .  Everyone seems satisfied with the arrangement.  One big
impact is the race is now following SARL convention on entries meaning all
experimental, production and heavy metal classes are eligible to race -
similar to the old Aircraft Spruce "Great Cross Country Flying Races" from
Palm Springs and Denver to Oshkosh.  The race classes for this year's race
can be found at www.sportairrace.org - use the Classes link on the home
page for complete definition of every class.  The race website has been
revised to conform to the new arrangement and it contains the entry form
which in turn contains the essential instructions for submitting an entry.
That brings me to the the purpose of this message - ENTRIES.

Yesterday I asked the race director via e-mail how things were going and he
replied that things are going well but they only have 4 entries.  I will
enjoy racing with the other 3 airplanes but it would be so much nicer to
arrive at Mitchell, South Dakota and see the big turnout we have
experienced in the past AirVenture Cup Races and when we have a chance to
run for records with the prevailing tail winds.  The entry form asks for a
lot of information to help produce a magazine quality program as we had in
the distant past with good individual coverage of every race crew and
airplane.  It has been asked "Is the information requested on the race
entry form going to be used to restrict the number of entries?" and the
race director said NO!, everyone who enters will be allowed to run the
race.

They need your entries early so they can work  the logistics and produce a
great event as they have in the past.

Please spread the word to anyone that flies and might like a chance to run
this race.

Bob Axsom