REFLECTOR: VG's

Mark Magee edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 14:07:23 CDT 2012

Hi James,

You said:
On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 12:20 PM, jcbarnes411 at sbcglobal.net <
jcbarnes411 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Look at a Lear wing. You'll see VGs and TE fences.

This is not the best example to cite:
1) It was the first of all Bizjets, and began the industry
2) It was pioneering new ground, and the engineers stole much from the
military to save costs
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/tech_ops/read.main/182341/
3) It had a nasty habit in the early years of departing flight at cruise
speed and altitude due to flying so close to stall speed.
I had a friend who was captain on one of the old 20 Series Lears, the crews
referred to them as Fearjets for their nasty habit of departing flight in
light turbulence at cruise flight. As I recall he said they flew them 15 or
so KTIAS beyond stall speed. The VG's and fences were a mandatory patch to
provide more lift.

Don't mean to be argumentative here, if you want VG's on your bird to
shorten your landing and takeoff you get to do as you please. In terms of
safety, I argue these points purely to make the point that you must discard
the Velocity manual of V Speeds when you alter the wing like this. I
believe we started this discussion on a phase 1 flight testing with VG's,
this is where I believe the trouble lays. Phase 1 testing is where the
manual is memorized. With the VG's the manual does not apply.

Respectfully

Mark B. Magee
N34XL XL FG 300HP 80HRS
Brady TX USA