REFLECTOR: VG's

Mark Magee edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 05:31:17 CDT 2012

Hi Lawrence,
You are entirely correct. The factory utilized vortilons to fix the majority of these issues in the Velocity. Mine are installed. These effectively straighten out lateral airflow toward the winglets at slow flight with virtually no drag penalty. Vortilons are the factory's solution (actually from Rutan) to slow flight problems of the laminar flow washing out laterally and greatly reducing aileron effectiveness in slow flight.
This is all well tested in the Variviggen, Varieze, Defiant and Long EZ well before all our Velo derivatives. Some folks apply trailing edge fences near the ends of the ailerons which greatly increase aileron authority at slow fight, I think they look funky.
A few VG's here and there (not discussing for cooling: only aerodynamics) IMO is acceptable. Applying them en masse on the upper surface of the main wing changes the aerodynamic profile of the entire wing. As John A mentioned, the only logical reason to do that is a serious modification to the airframe such as a markedly heavier engine grafted in, requiring markedly greater lift. Maybe the addition of a substantial belly tank Ect.
OTW I never second guess the designer(s). Large arrays of VG's change the designers design into something they did not design! You get to write the manual on that design... Actually large arrays of VG's are kin to a STOL kit for a Velocity. Look at some of the Cessna's out on the ramp, STOL kits for some of those Spam Cans are arrays of VG's probably the leading edge.
A STOL kit for a Velocity?

Mark Magee
N34XL XLFG 300 HP 80 hrs
Brady TX